Nova News Editorial June 2017

EPC - Energy Performance Certificate in Shropshire. I have recently received my accreditation to undertake Energy Performance Certificates on established domestic dwellings.
This is a welcome addition to the services that I am able to offer to agents, solicitors and general public within the property market and specifically within the sales and rental sectors.

What is an EPC?
In order to market your home, be it for sale or to let it is mandatory, subject to certain exemptions, to have an Energy Performance Certificate, this certificate is valid for a ten year term. The EPC gives the prospective buyer or tenant a guide to the costs and efficiency of running a home, based on normal living practices for a standard sized family, together with a calculation of the home’s CO2 emissions, as well as an indication as to what steps can be taken to make cost effective improvements to a property’s energy efficiency (rating). Much like on an electrical appliance the rating is on an A to G scale with A being the most efficient i.e. the cheapest to run.

New homes are assessed “off plan” and, like an established home the energy rating is assessed by software, which takes into account the building regulations which applied at the time the property was built and relates to the type of construction, levels of insulation in walls, floors, roof space etc. together with double glazing. The age and efficiency of the central heating boiler (or lack of heating) and the type of fuel used together with the size of the rooms and height of ceilings. This information is all input into software, which produces an energy rating for the home. The DEA can then produce the EPC and recommendations report in a standardised format.

There are many more factors that go into the calculation but this summarises the main areas. The software also makes a number of assumptions as to “normal living conditions” and is set to a standard number of people occupying a property. The Governments recommended system for measuring a homes energy efficiency is called the standard assessment procedure (SAP), this applies to new homes and for established homes it is referred to as the reduced standard assessment procedure (RdSAP). All Domestic Energy Assessors have to be accredited in order to undertake their work.

EPCs were first introduced on 1st August 2007 for properties of 4 bedrooms or more and the requirement was gradually widened over the next few months and years. We are now coming to a time when the first EPCs will have to be renewed, you will need to be aware that your EPC does not expire during the term of marketing or a tenancy. Furthermore regulations relating to the minimum energy rating of rental properties come into force next year. Other contributors to this publication in previous issues have covered this subject.

If you need further information relating to EPCs contact me on 07507 928008 or email. I look forward to speaking with you.

View & Download PDF